Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Sentence Strips Part 1

(download the set below)

My favorite materials are ones that can be adapted to many grammar points.

These sentence strips are a great example of that.

Using the 100 most commonly used verbs in English, I wrote positive sentences in the simple present in a variety of grammatical persons.  The orange sentences are irregular verbs.  The green sentences are regular verbs.

Students can change the subjects, for example, "she" to "you", the "we" to "I".

She eats breakfast. ------->  You eat breakfast.
We eat breakfast.  ------->  They eat breakfast.

Students can change the positive sentences to negative sentences.

I eat breakfast.  ------->  I don't eat breakfast.

Students can change the sentences to any tense you are working on:

I eat breakfast. ------->  I ate breakfast./I didn't eat breakfast.
I eat breakfast.  -------> I am eating breakfast./I am not eating breakfast.
I eat breakfast.  ------->  I will have eaten breakfast./I will not have eaten breakfast.

Students can make -wh questions:

I drink beer.  ------->  What do you drink?
He eats breakfast on Sunday at his mom's house.  ------->Where does he eat breakfast?
He eats breakfast on Sunday at his mom's house.  ------->  When does he eat breakfast at his mom's house?

Download the first set of sentence strips at Google Documents here.

No comments:

Post a Comment